Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bed Time

When we started letting Preston 'cry-it-out' I had a really hard time listening to him cry. I couldn't imagine what could be worse than sitting outside your babies door and just letting them cry themselves to sleep. It took a few weeks but it worked and now Preston is such a good sleeper. When it's nap-time or bed time we just grab his blanket and his bunny, read him the story about "Oaky" and its lights out. This is the only thing that currently gives me hope-and I'll explain why.
Letting your baby cry seems cruel and unusual not just to the child, but to the parent. Now imagine how it feels to have to let TWO babies 'cry-it-out' in the same room! Not only does it seem to take twice as long, but it feels twice a cruel! I have to keep telling myself, it's okay, when they wake up they'll still love you, but I find myself having an overwhelming urge to cry also.
Now you may be asking "why are you doing this then." Well, I'll tell you, it's because if I have to take care of one or more screaming babies until after 10p.m. and then go to bed with a dirty house because I'm so exhausted from playing catch up all day from the night before and taking care of babies, I'm going to throw myself out a window (luckily we live in rambler so that wouldn't be too far to fall!)
Anyways... I just had to get that off my chest. Anyone who feels a need to smother me in sympathy, empathy, or to stroke my motherly ego, comments are welcome!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

WOW, I get to make the first response to your blogg. Well fortunately you will have family out there during thanksgiving and they can help lighten the blow. Letting a baby cry itself to sleep for a few nights is well worth it in the long run, like you said, it teaches that there are limits in life; and that will make them good people in the future, not one of the many who think they should get whatever they want when they want it.

Love ya.

Alyssa said...

Thanks sis! Can't wait to see you!

klower said...

I really hope "your fam" comes to California for Christmas. We are dying to see the babies (all three of them!). Davin wants a baby badly, so maybe yours will appease him. We'll miss you at Thanksgiving. Here's your praise for being a fantasic mother - you are super woman for crying out loud!
xoxo, Love, Kristin and Davin

Anonymous said...

I feel like I just read about my own life. The only difference is you have a third. It's nice to know I'm not the only one going though this. Our kids now have a bed time before ours, and we have time to get our sanity back, and a clean house. The time together without the kids is very necessary to a healthy relationship. Things have been so much better for everyone.

Preston, Landen and Jordan

Preston, Landen and Jordan