Saturday, February 23, 2008

More about Natural Child Birth

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "Granola" people (no offense intend to those who are, more power to you, but I love my store bought sliced bread and I can't live without my Oreos!!) I just have very passionate feelings about natural birth. I think it goes beyond the choice of 'medicated' or 'non-medicated', I think it is more to me about women who are expecting a child taking the time to really investigate their options. If you find out your pregnant and you go to your doctor to find out what to do next, how this is going to work, and what to expect then you are going to become dependent on them for your knowledge. Why don't more women think about that before just yeilding their pregnancy and ultimate labor to a doctor who has absolutely no intimate knowledge of them. To them, you are a patient first, a person second.
What if we all say, "OK, I could get pregnant, (or I am pregnant), what's next for me?" and how about if we try to answer that question ourselves instead of trying to find out from our doctor. You typically find out you are pregnant at the ripe gestational age of 2-3 weeks. Most doctors wont even schedual an apointment for you until you are 10 weeks along or 8 gestational weeks. That means that you have at least a month from the time you find out you are pregnant until your first meeting with any 'professional.' Take this time to talk to your friends, family, do some research. Dont just find out 'what's next?' find out what comes after that. And then after that... and finally, decide early on how you want it all to end. Knowledge is power! The more you have the better off you and your baby will be. Empower yourself! Don't give in to the idea that "oh, but it hurts" think about is as something that proves your strength, your conciousness of feminine nature, and the love you have for your child.
Everyone has a different birth story, don't let your doctor write yours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although your reasons are very convincing, I'm afraid I'll still need the drugs. Let's hear it for all the wussies out there!-Your Feva

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I appreciate what you say. I think it's important for a woman to find her out intuition and only seek care for what she needs, before assuming that she needs it all and therefore letting somebody else direct and manage her experience of the single most sacred thing to ever happen to a woman. As for me, I say "No thank you," and I will let you know when I need something. Until then, everything is FINE because this is a natural, normal process that happens every day, for thousands of years, without doctors!

BTW have you seen The Business of Being Born or Birth as we Know it?

Preston, Landen and Jordan

Preston, Landen and Jordan